Custom Sized . Reversible . Hassle Free

October 12, 2010

Baby sling in ICU - 5 weeks old

With all the confusion that is surrounding baby carriers after the recall of the Infantino "purse style" baby carrier, I find myself thinking of all the critical life moments that were made a success story because of a my baby sling specifically, and especially that it WAS a baby sling, not a snugly or back pack carrier that was needed for the job.

I am shameless in my love for my baby sling! It is the safest place for my baby.

After being Choppered to Children’s Hospital with my baby, James, 5 wks old in heart failure, I found it very challenging spending 5 days trying to hold him in my arms and stop him from crying as I had been advised to do by the head of Electrical Cardiology to prevent him form going into another heart episode - I was asked to stay by the bed and try and hold him as it was the only thing that kept him from going into arrhythmia. Not the morphine, not the Chloral hydrate sedative, not the Flecainide heart drugs, but Holding Him. Wow, did I ever feel like I was asked to hold a grenade when the result of him crying hard was him going into SVT- heart beat of 320bpm- and having to be injected with a drug to made his heart flat line, and then have his heart restart again. This had been happening repeatedly all day long, every day, as they tried to find the right heart drugs for him, until they had me hold him.

For days he hadn't sleep. Just writhed and screamed from all the procedures he had been put through, his heart constantly spiking to 320 bpm and having his heart stopping and restarted by doctors, countless wires and sensors coming out of his head and chest. Now I'm asked to try and stay by his side and hold him as much as I can to keep him calm. I was so worried I was hurting him holding him with all the IVs in him, and then the ICU nurse took one of the "needles" that were used in the IVS in his arms, legs and head and showed me that they were not needles at all but squishy bits of tiny rubber tubing that went into the vain – mushy plastic tubes - not needles pocking into him when I held him! That was it! On went my stretchy fitted sling and in went baby, IVs, heart sensors and all, So gently sliding down into the upright kangaroo care position. I started walking around with him and they gave me a remote monitor so he wasn’t hooked to the wall and he was SO happy and peaceful. He fell asleep!! I sat in the rocking chair and rocked him for the first time without my arms aching, or my brain reeling form 4 days without sleep worrying about dropping him while rocking him.

I thought after about the fact that I would not have been able to carry him if it were necessary to buckle strap or wrap him into a more complex carrier. They needed to be able to lift him out quickly if he had an attack and a sling made that possible in seconds.

There is no way I could have carried him in any type of pack or snugly carrier where his legs hung out. He had had so many IVs put into his legs and ankles and it was much safer for him to have his legs relaxed inside the sling.
I was told by the paediatric nurses that babies that age have a falling reflex and that when they feel their legs and arms hanging and waving free it signals their brain that they are falling. They said babies that age are much calmer and happier if inside a carrier more like being swaddled rather than limbs waving free.

We were very grateful to have our Baby Sling while our baby needed to be kept calm and recover.

No comments: